Teeth Whitening in Sydney
It’s never been easier to get the beautiful, white smile of your dreams. Teeth whitening has been growing in popularity over the last few years, with pearly white teeth being the key to a confident, healthy looking smile.
We’ll be taking a look at five different options for people in Sydney who want to get a whiter, brighter smile. Teeth whitening can generally be split into two types of treatments, based entirely on where they occur. The first is a home treatment, performed with products sold over the counter at most major supermarkets or websites. These products use gels or whitening strips to brighten teeth without requiring a trip to the dentist, and score highly for convenience and affordability.
The second is in-office whitening services that typically combine a hydrogen peroxide gel with an activation process that enhances the speed and effectiveness of the whitening process.
At Home Teeth Whitening: Pearly Whites
Availability in Sydney: Pearly Whites provides free delivery to all Sydney suburbs, and anywhere in New South Wales.
The first solution we will be looking at is the range of Pearly Whites teeth whitening products. The key to Pearly White’s popularity is the combination of an at home teeth whitening kit and the best of the in-office dental grade gels.
Pearly Whites kits are designed for self-application in the comfort of the user’s own home, but feature dental-grade Carbamide Peroxide* in the same high-quality formulation used in dentists' offices. The result is a combination of convenience and affordability with professional-level results.
*Teeth whitening is done using carbamide peroxide which breaks down into the active ingredient hydrogen peroxide. This is the key ingredient in both in-office and at-home treatments, though it is often offered in stronger concentrations at a dentist’s office. The gels in the Pearly Whites kits, however, contain 18% Carbamide Peroxide which is the legal limit in Australia.
The Pearly Whites gel products come with a powerful LED light which can help accelerate the whitening process.
Pearly Whites now offers free delivery to all areas of Sydney and New South Wales.
- Price: Prices vary from $50 to $150
- Convenience: (done at home, free delivery)
- Quality: Dental Grade ingredients
- What people say: Pearly Whites was voted Australia’s most popular home teeth whitening brand in 2016.
Check for special pricing
Note that the following information about dental service providers in Sydney is provided with no charge or commission, and they are not affiliated with this website.
In office Teeth Whitening: Smile ConceptsSmile Concepts have two locations in Sydney:
- Level 4, 307 Pitt Street Sydney CBD
- 249 Great North Road, Five Dock
The treatment and procedure range offered by Smile Concepts includes in-office whitening (also sometime called power bleaching) which generally takes about an hour to an hour and a half in the office. Smile Concepts website says that this achieves about 60% success rates. Examples of brands used are Pola Office, Opalescence, Zoom, Laser Smile, Rembrandt, Brite Smile, Smart Bleach and OpusWhite, all of which have similar results.
Their other teeth whitening service is called Deep Bleaching, which they say is the most advanced form of whitening that has the highest success rate (almost 100% success rate).
- Price: Prices vary from $600 to over $1000
- Convenience: (in office appoints are required, but they do offer parking)
- Quality: (excellent results, professional treatment services)
- What people say: Dr Amrinder Oberoi and Dr Manish Shah have favourable reviews online.
- Contact: 02 9002 7416 (Five Dock) or 02 9024 9417 (Sydney CBD)
In office Treatments: ABC Dental
ABC Dental has locations in central Sydney, Chatswood, Bondi Junction, North Ryde and Miranda
ABC Dental are a Sydney based dental service that offer a wide range of oral care and cosmetic procedures, including cosmetic teeth whitening. Their top of the line whitening solution is called Zoom Whitening which uses a peroxide based gel and the Zoom light technology.
This is a comparatively expensive service (starting from $950) and requires an appointment and time spent in the dental chair, but they claim to achieve excellent results.
- Price: $950 for Zoom
- Convenience: (in office appointments are required, but they do offer onsite parking)
- Quality: (excellent results, professional treatment services)
- What people say: Currently rated 4 on TrueLocal, with generally positive reviews.
Shop 2005, Level 2
188 Pitt Street
Shop 1006A, Level 1
600 The Kingsway
Shop 16, Level 1
Macquarie Shopping Centre
Cnr Herring & Waterloo Rds
North Ryde 2113
Shop 6013B, Level 6
Westfield Bondi Junction
500 Oxford Street
Bondi Junction 2022
1 Anderson Street
The Dental Lounge bills itself as a modern relaxed dental clinic in Sydney that is committed to making people smile using the latest technology. They have finance options available and their site offers people the opportunity to go to Smile Choice to seek pre-approval to pay for their services with weekly payment plans.
Their primary teeth whitening service is the Zoom Whitespeed procedure, which uses a peroxide based bleaching agent and LED light to accelerate the whitening process.
Note that it is possible to get a discount by prepaying for whitening services (this reduces the basic cost from $595 to $545).
It is also worth being aware that whitening gels and take away trays cost an additional $100.
- Price: $595
- Convenience: (in office appointments are required, valet parking is $20). Open week days from 8:30.
- Quality: (excellent results, professional staff)
- What people say: Currently rated 3.5 on TrueLocal, with generally positive reviews. https://www.truelocal.com.au/business/dental-lounge/sydney
- Contact: 02 9247 8989
Dental Lounge Macquarie Street
Level 4, 149 Macquarie Street, Sydney CBD 2000
Ph: 02 9247 8989
Fax: 02 9247 9898
Dental Lounge Hunters Hill
100 Ryde Road Hunters Hill, Sydney, NSW 2110
Ph: 02 9817 8944
Fax: 02 9817 8922
Why Whiten Teeth?
As time passes, teeth can become stained or discoloured by certain foods and drinks, any type of smoking, or simply from the natural aging process. Many people believe that brightening the shade of your teeth is one of the fastest ways to significantly improve the appearance of your smile and boost your confidence. Modern teeth whitening procedures offer professional-strength treatment options with results you can see immediately.
How Does Bleaching Teeth Work?
Bleaching your teeth is one of the most effective ways to quickly make yellow or discoloured teeth white again. This is because the bleach in many products removes both surface stains as well as the discoloration that is buried deeper on your teeth. Some bleaching agents are light-activated so, in addition to the gel, certain treatments involve using LED lights. The Pearly Whites kits come with a high quality, powerful LED light which helps to lighten your teeth faster.
Choosing the Best Tooth Whitening Option
There are many ways to achieve white teeth, so it is important to choose the one that suits you best. You need to understand the options to get a solid idea of which products will be best for your lifestyle and budget. Below is a bit more information about the most popular options currently available, and what you can expect from each.
- Over the Counter Products – This is the broadest category because there are so many different brands, categories, strengths and purchase options to choose from. Over the counter products are designed to be used whenever and wherever you choose, and some of the better-quality ones will contain similar percentages of carbamide peroxide to those found in the kits dispensed by dental clinics. These teeth whitening kits can be highly effective in helping to remove discoloration from your teeth. The teeth whitening products on this site fall into this category.
Options for over counter products include gel pens, strips, and powerful gel kits which can be purchased in stores and online. Most of these products will cost you less than $100 and, depending on the products’ strength and quality, you should see visible results in a few days or weeks.
- Professionally Dispensed Take-Away Products – These are cosmetic dentistry products that typically contain a high percentage of carbamide peroxide and so need to be dispensed by a professional. You order them from your local dental clinic who in turn orders them from the supplier. Once the dentist has your kit in stock, you will need to pick it up and receive instructions on how to use the product safely.
As is the case with the more affordable over the counter variety, most professionally dispensed kits involve using trays that keep a whitening gel on your teeth for a set amount of time, as recommended in the instructions.
- In Office – Three of the Sydney based companies listed on this page fall into this category. This option requires you to set up a consultation with a cosmetic dentistry clinic, your local dentist or other dental professional to see if your teeth are a good candidate for professional whitening. If you are approved, you will be scheduled for an appointment which typically takes about an hour and involves using a gel and powerful light technology that activates the ingredients in the bleaching agent.
Teeth Whitening Costs Comparisons
As you’ll find with most cosmetic dentistry, the price for whiter teeth varies depending on the option you choose.
- Cheap - On the less-expensive end of the scale are the toothpastes and mouthwashes. In addition to needing to be used every day, they also take longer to work than most of the other options, and don’t provide dramatic results. They are budget friendly - typically costing less than $10 each. However, dentists do warn that they can be abrasive on teeth enamel.
Similarly, some pens and gels with lower-intensity bleach (or no carbamide peroxide) can cost a fraction of what in-office whitening will cost. Keep in mind, however, that daily use products means you go through more, so the costs will add up as you are required to purchase frequently.
- Affordable - Many people want to see sparkling teeth in a short amount of time, which leads them to opt for faster acting products with more powerful ingredients. These options tend to be a bit more expensive than the cheapest alternatives, but provide more significant results and require less time to work.
Gel kits and packs of strips can cost anywhere from $30 to a few hundred depending on the strength of the active ingredients, the brand and where it’s being sold. The Pearly Whites range offers high quality, powerful products that are available online at incredibly affordable prices.
- Pricey - The most expensive option is in-office bleaching, followed closely by dentist dispensed professional take-away kits. In-office treatments at the dentist typically cost in excess of $500, but the price varies depending on which clinic you choose. While slightly less expensive than in-office treatments, take-away kits dispensed by a dental clinic can still cost several hundred to over a thousand dollars.